Vegan Baja Blast Cupcakes
You heard right! I’ve been talking about making these for a long time now and I finally buckled down and made it happen. I consider these the ultimate “junk food cupcake” and perfect for summertime. Soda and candy and sugar… oh my!
Recipe makes 12 cupcake
- 1 cup of Mountain Dew Baja Blast + ~1/4 cup set aside
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (or any other mildly-flavored oil, such as canola)
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- turquoise (or equal parts blue + green) food coloring, at your discretion to achieve the desired color ( * TIP - make the batter a shade or two brighter than you want it, as the cupcakes will darken a bit as they bake)
Creamy Baja Lemon Frosting:
- 1/4 cup organic, non hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar
- juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons Baja Blast
- 2 tablespoons non dairy milk
- turquoise (or equal parts blue + green) food coloring, at your discretion to achieve the desired color
Preheat your oven to 350° F and line a muffin tin with liners.
In a large bowl, combine (1 cup) Baja Blast, vinegar, oil, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until ingredients are just combined. Add in the food coloring until desired color is achieved.
Evenly distribute the batter between the 12 muffin cups and bake for 19-21 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center. Immediately after removing the cupcakes from the oven, brush the tops of the cupcakes with the 1/4 cup Baja Blast that you’ve set aside. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
For the frosting:
In a stand mixer, cream together the shortening and margarine until creamy and well-combined. Mix in the salt, extract, and lemon zest and combine. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until fully incorporated. Next, add in the lemon juice, Baja Blast, and milk. Once incorporated, add in the food coloring until you’re left with a color that appeals to you. After that, feel free to turn up the mixer to a high speed to get the frosting nice and fluffy.
Finally, frost your cupcakes and decorate to your liking. I used sanding sugar to apply to the outside of the frosting for a shimmery look and topped it off with a Sour Patch Watermelon and fondant heart. :)
I hope you all enjoy this one!